Hand Washing Guidelines
Why should I wash my hands?
Germs (bacteria or viruses) such as the flu virus, which cause illnesses, may be on your hands.
When should I wash my hands?
- Before eating.
- After using the bathroom
- After blowing or wiping your nose.
- After you cough or sneeze into a tissue.
- Upon arriving home from school to prevent bringing germs from school into your home.
How should I wash my hands properly?
- Use soap and running water
- Rub your hands vigorously for at least 15 seconds (It’s the amount of time it takes to sing Happy Birthday or your ABC’s)
- Wash all surfaces including back of hands, wrists, between fingers, under fingernails.
- Rinse well.
- Dry hands well with paper towel.
- TURN OFF THE FAUCET WITH THE PAPER TOWEL.
(You should never use your clean hands to turn off the faucet since you could pick up the germs that were on your hand when you turned on the faucet).