Protocol for the Follow Up of an Active Tuberculosis Csse
If any of the following occurs:
- School notifies Coordinated Student Health Services (CSHS) that it was informed that a student has an active case of tuberculosis (TB)
- Department of Health-Broward informs Coordinated Student Health Services that it received notification from a hospital
Coordinated Student Health Services will:
- Maintain open communication with the Department of Health-Broward and the school, providing updates, as they become available and resources as needed.
School Staff will:
- Maintain open communication with Coordinated Student Health Services and the Department of Health-Broward
- Implement actions as directed by Coordinated Student Health Services and Department of Health-Broward to include:
a) Mailing of letters, permission slips and Tuberculosis Information Sheets to parents/guardians.
b) Coordinating education/in-service by Department of Health-Broward for students and teachers.
c) Collecting signed permission forms for testing.
d) Coordinating Tuberculin Skin (TST) testing of students and staff with the Department of Health-Broward.
Note: A student with a positive TST is not considered contagious based soley on the TST results. Further testing is required before the student is considered to active T.B. and the exposure protocol is implemented.