Guidelines for Volunteers
Your interest and concern for students have motivated you to volunteer in Broward County Schools. Thank you. This is a challenging and rewarding role.
To make your experience as a school volunteer a beneficial one for the students and for you, please follow these guidelines as you assist in the schools.
1. The main concern of volunteers while engaged in school activities must be the safety and education of students.
2. Volunteers may not give students medication.
3. Volunteers may not divulge individual student’s grades, records and abilities, which are personal and confidential information. Students have a right to confidentiality under Florida Statute 228.093 that covers:
- academic work completed family background information
- standardized test scores attendance records
- health data grades
- interest inventory reports teacher or counselor ratings
- reports of serious or recurrent observations
- behavior patterns
4. Volunteers are not permitted to supervise a classroom or discipline students. These actions are the responsibilities of the teacher and school.
5. Volunteers will be assigned only to staff members requesting assistance.
6. Volunteers should set a good example for students by their manner, appearance and behavior.
7. Volunteers are required to complete an application form annually and be approved to be a BCPS volunteer before helping in the school. Volunteers can apply on line by going to www.getinvolvedineducation.com/volunteers.
8. Volunteers are required to sign in and out.
9. For identification, volunteers are required to wear a name badge when helping with school activities.