BMI Assessment Procedures
Florida Statute 381.0056 requires student height and weight screenings be completed.
- Each school principal is responsible for designating a staff member to coordinate the BMI’s.
- You will need to obtain the BMI tables and the BMI graphs for boys and girls.
- Obtain accurate height and weight of student.
- Refer to BMI tables. Find student’s height and weight on the table. This will give you their BMI number.
- Plot the BMI number on the BMI graph. NOTE: There are different graphs for boys and girls. You plot the point where the student’s BMI number intersects with their age.
- The CDC provides a calculation tool for student BMI. Please go to http://apps.nccd.cdc.gov/dnpabmi/
- Any percentiles that fall above the 85th percentile or below the 5th percentile lines on the BMI graph should be reported to the child’s parent/guardian for follow up with a healthcare provider. A copy of the graph should be given to the parent with the referral letter (Spanish)(Haitian Creole)(Portuguese).
- The graph should be placed in the student’s cum folder. The same graph should be used each year for screening.
- The completed BMI Screening Results Summary form must be sent to Coordinated Student Health Services by the end of April via pony or fax to 754-321-2743.